1. Are they registered with the Minnesota Secretary of State?
Is the registration current?
2. Do you have liability and workman’s compensation insurance?
Do they have at least $2,000,000 in liability coverage?
3. Do you have a superior rating with the Better Business Bureau?
Click here to see Richfield Blacktop’s rating with BBB.
4. Is the company licensed in your city?
Not all cities require a license, but if your city does, make sure the company you choose is properly licensed.
5. Does the company obtain all of the necessary permits?
A permit is required with many cities to ensure the driveway plans are compatible with all of the city requirements. If a permit is not obtained and work is done that is non-compliant, the work may need to be re-done at the homeowners expense.
6. Will the company have the underground utilities marked before digging?
These should include, phone, cable, electric and gas.
7. Do you have a list of driveways you’ve built close to where I live?
Contact us for driveways that we built in your area.
8. Do you have a top rating with Angie’s List or a comparable consumer advocacy group?
We have been the recipient of Angie’s List Super Service Award since 2007.
9. Will you spend the necessary time to build the sub-base to at least 4 inches thick using recycled con-bit,
or limestone class 5?
At Richfield Blacktop, it is our standard, if sub-base is needed.
10. Will there be additional costs not on the invoice?
You should require your contractor to disclose and get approval for any changes or additional costs before the work is performed, eliminating any hidden costs.